Last Tuesday I had my first Doctor's appointment for the baby. I was really nervous and didn't know what to expect and kinda wished my family was here. The nurse told me I was pregnant...YAY! and that even though I was only ten weeks along, I'm pretty little and so she decided to check for a heartbeat. At first when she put the unit on my tummy I thought that was the heartbeat but she assured me it was mine. Whoops. I then wondered how she would know the difference? Until we heard it!! I had no idea it would be beating so fast. It was really neat and very affirming but I didn't cry which is considered blasphemy among my family. It was just that I was alone and would have to drive by myself so I knew I needed to keep things together. Then I went to have my blood drawn.
In fifth grade I had an amazing teacher who always was pushing us to do volunteer work and to help out those less fortunate than us. One big thing that she pushed was for us to donate blood when we were older. I still can remember her telling us all about it and I vowed then to donate blood as often as you can when I became of age (I think it's every three months). Then I got to high school and found out you only had to be 17! I was soooo THRILLED to be able to do this. Then I found out about the weight restriction and realized I will never be able to give blood because I don't weigh enough. That was crushing.
Anyway, I had my blood drawn for the first time. And I almost fainted. It was the worst thing ever. So I asked the lady if they take out more or less than she did when you donate blood and almost laughing she said more. Now I realize I will never give blood.
One day this summer I was cutting up apples for Stephen and I accidentally sliced my finger. I did a pretty good job but I soon as I saw the blood I instantly got queasy and had to sit down. All it needed was a bandaid but I couldn't handle it. And I thought I could donate blood?!? Goodness.
Back to the appointment...Stephen was cute and ended up showing up, unfortunately it was while I was scheduling the next visit! Outside I told him about hearing the heartbeat and he teared up!! Gosh I love him.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
10 months ago

5 comments:
YEA! I'm so glad you got to hear the heartbeat. I think it's cute that Stephen got all teared up.
I have a hard time giving blood too... the whole weight thing. :-)
You'll never forget that sound... the sound of the babies heartbeat. Seriously one of the coolest sounds in the universe.
I also LOVE hearing the heartbeat. So glad that you got such an awesome appointment! I hated going to the gyno (really I more than hated it, I dispised it) but the OB. That's a whole other ball park. They are helping me care for my little ones. Any time spent on my little ones is a fantastic thing, and to have other people assuring me that all is well, is just nice! Truly LOVED the OB! I hope you have similarly fantastic appts with yours! I can't wait to find out the sex though! All projects for you are on hold until then. So, speed things up, will ya!? Take care of you and your little one. Oh and say hi to the hubsters for me. I like him, so you may keep him. =)
Ah! reading all that about the blood makes me feel sick--I have MAJOR problems donating blood too, lol. I pass out... every time. :(
That is SO exciting that you're pregnant! ahh I can't believe it! :D
This post made my heart smile. Erika, I am so excited for you!!!! :-)
Post a Comment