Along with all the craziness that has been this summer I decided instead of going to school, I would wait a year and be a substitute teacher. Then we found out I was pregnant and was too sick to move. Finally the morning sickness is subsiding and so I decided to try out substitute teaching. Actually yesterday was the first day a job was posted and I JUMPED on the opportunity.
Unfortunately there are no pictures of my fun day because it's not allowed. Dang it all! I ended up going for the afternoon (which is PERFECT for me) and I taught a first-grade class of 17. The school is literally one house over, two houses up and one street across from where I live so it is super convenient.
The kids were a little crazy, after all it was a Friday afternoon but I really enjoyed it. I miss being in the classrooms and can not wait to have one of my own!! Not everything went smoothly but it is quite hilarious to look back at. One girl(#1) came to me almost in tears because she said another girl(#2) had told her she would lock her door. When I pressed for details I found girl #1 threatened girl #2 that her parents would beat her up at home and so girl #2 said she would just lock the door!! And girl #1 was the one who tattled!! HAHA. Gotta love those first graders.
Another girl came up to me and asked me why I had purple under my eyes (as in my bags). Thank You! I had no idea I would get so many hugs!! One little boy came to me and said he didn't get much sleep that night and then he hugged me just because. It was really sweet.
You know what else is sweet? My husband came to pick me up from school. He got off work early to get his glasses and eyes checked because they close when he's off of work and I loved that he came to pick me up as well. It was fun walking home with the hubby.
The school also does some really amazing things. Some of my students were called out of class to go to the office. They came back with a large bag of food. I was told that it was because they don't have enough food at home. It makes sense because while they are at school they are guaranteed to get two meals (which they can get for free if they qualify) and to make sure they have something to eat on the weekend they are sent home with food. I am so glad that these children are able to get that. I wonder how it works with the older students because it would be a potentially embarrasing situation for them but I am really impressed that this is in place for those who need it and honestly I was amazed at how many names were called to recieve these bags of food. It makes me wonder what more I can do to help those around me who are in need.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
10 months ago

2 comments:
Oh Erika! I love reading your blog. I miss you so much. I can't wait to rub your baby belly and tell you things about pregnancy and babies and life...oh wait...I already do everything but rub your baby belly. And I'm guessing it will be a while until you get a baby belly. Maybe I'll just rub my pillow and pretend.
I think you would be an awesome sub. I'm surprised that they send food home for the kids. How great is that?! Warms my heart to think about it.
Take care of yourself and that bambino of yours. And post or call when you remember;)
We love you so much! Stephen too...we love him;) The kiddos have a fun uncle in him. Maybe I should ask Dad how to say uncle in Danish?
I am happy that you got to be in the classroom, as I think being busy will make your pregnancy go by so much quicker, and easier! Also, I also long for the classroom, and I'm sure that's why we both want to be teachers! So, good for you for getting in there! And YAY for the hubby! The longer he's in the family, the more I like him! =) You just never know how one's spouses will really end up being and so I reserve judgment for a bit, and then I judge the heck out of him! =) Luckily, I'd have to say that I really like all 3 of the spouses my siblings are with! As far as the students. There is a program a bit south of here that has many really cool programs like that. The school has a whole pantry of food and the kids get to go in and get a bag of food every week (just like you are talking about). I also think it is so wonderful. During the summer these same students can go to school and eat there for 1 or 2 meals a day. YAY! I'm glad some school districts have such fantastic programs going on!
Post a Comment