Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pictureless Update

Here are some little facts about my son and the age he's at. sans pictures.

Baby Stephen is now a crawler. Christmas was so nice and I'm glad he wasn't mobile then or I would have really been in trouble.

The little cutie-pie is quite the charmer and his favorite way to spend church is by smiling side-ways at anyone near us long enough for them to notice him at which point he immediately gets really shy and has to cover his face. And then he'll repeat this over and over again.

As for me, I've lost any sense of grammar and spelling. Just as I was typing the last paragraph I seriously couldn't remember how to spell "immediately". I tried to begin it with an "a" and then an "e" but luckily I knew those weren't correct. Yikes.

Stephen has once again decided that nights are best spent crying instead of sleeping, which has caused me to forget what well-rested feels like.

My baby finally likes to be read to! I would read to him when he was pretty young and he wanted nothing to do with it. He's now at the point where he enjoys sitting and playing with the books as I read them aloud to him.

Story Time:
It as seems as though a good number of my nieces and nephews have had "blamies" or baby blankets that they've had for forever and carry around with them at all times. I've been present many a time when one or more "blamies" were lost and had to be recovered before the owner would be able to sleep.

I always thought this practice was tiresome and a little irritating and vowed that my children would NEVER become so attached to their blankets. Then I had Stephen.

Early on I would switch out the blankets he used at night so he wouldn't get attached. Then he started this scary practice of completely covering his head with his blanket. I would wake up several times just to pull the blanket down so he could breathe. I then chose to use the blankets my mom had crocheted for him as they have holes in them and reassure me that even when Stephen smothers his face into them, he'll still be able to breathe.

It was SO cute to see him poking his fingers and toes through the holes in the blankets while he slept. Unfortunately now he's attached. He HAS to have one of these blankets between his arms while he sleeps. I'm doomed.

My mom crocheted a bigger blanket that's in the front room and he always knows where it's at. He'll crawl up to it just to lay his head down for a minute. Melts my heart! Now he's started to scream into it. He'll get all worked up, plant his face into it and just scream away. He's a doll. And I am officially eating my own parenting words. Lovely.

2 comments:

Kat said...

HA!!!!

I love it when new parents get to eat their words. ;) I know I ate a few of my own. Some how it just feels right to the person on the other side of the coin. Someday Erika, some childless person will think that something you are doing is in question. Someday that person will have a child of their own and have to eat their words too.

What childless people fail to understand is that parents don't have much control over their child's personality and wants.

It is so fun to hear what your little guy is up to these days. We don't get much time to see him. So your stories fill in the gaps for us.

As for the blanket.... he does it for comfort. How can you feel bad about something that brings him peace and comfort? As parents we have to pick our battles. Weigh the good with the bad and think about if something is truly dentrimental to their well being.

Hugs to you and your sweet little boy.
Kat

Anjeanette said...

I love that boy and I love you!