Friday, April 22, 2011

Trip to Maryland: Part 4…D.C.

We trekked down to D.C. one Saturday to visit the Museum of Natural History.  I love that the Smithsonian's are all free!  How awesome!  I had been to D.C. years ago for Anjeanette’s wedding and we went through the Smithsonian Space and Aircraft Museum so this time I wanted to try something different. 
The boys had to walk on the fence.  There were gaps in it and the boys would jump over the gaps (with parental help)
IMG_0580

Proof that we were actually inside the museum.  My sister couldn’t come and so her boys were taking pictures of EVERYTHING.  We joked that she would be able to tour the museum through the pictures. IMG_0586
And proof that I was there too.
IMG_0589
We also saw the Washington Monument. 
  IMG_0593
We then had to take a driving tour of D.C. because it was too cold and the boys were done.  We were able to see the White House and Ford’s Theatre where Lincoln was shot.  Of course now directly across the street you can buy Lincoln Waffles.  I didn’t realize though that Ford’s Theatre was still in use.  We’ll have to go again and see a production there.

Unfortunately we didn’t get to see any of the war memorials or the Lincoln Memorial.  I had already seen them and remember vividly how touching they can be.  Most of them will have small flags and flowers that people have left there.  In fact one of my favorite paintings is of the Vietnam memorial. 
War Memorials always make me think of Memory Grove in Utah.  We have some family names recorded on the war memorial there and I am so grateful for what they have done.

2 comments:

Anjeanette said...

I love that painting too!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I love that painting too!! Those memorials are so moving! Loved visiting them and would love to go again.

Love
Becky