...That I'm Apprehensive To Open Our Door.
*Now mind you that this list has just been composed while in Texas and at our rental house. And these are all true events.*
1.) The Sheriff. I had the opportunity to open our door and to find the Sheriff standing there with an arrest warrant!! Thankfully it was for the guy who lived in the apartment out back and not for either of us. Or maybe I shouldn't be so thankful that the Sheriff was on the lookout for the man who lived just feet away from us.
2.) An FBI Agent. He actually flashed his badge at me! Although really I would have had no idea if it were a fake. So what do I do? I invite this man into my house while I'm home alone. Not my brightest moment. Thankfully he declined and stayed outside while I gathered the necessary information. Turns out he was looking for the previous renters, neither us nor the landlord knows what happened to them.
3.) The Crazy Lady. Or I should say the Crazy Couple. This one happened much more recently.
No one is currently living in the back apartment and so we have a For Rent sign in our front lawn. People are supposed to call the number to get in touch with our landlady but of course no one does that, instead they come to the door looking for information. Unfortunately for them I have no information to give; I don't know the rental amount of the apartment, nor have I been inside to see what it looks like. Until recently I didn't even know how many bedrooms it had. And I don't even know how to get in contact with our landlords because Stephen takes care of all of that for me.
Anyway last Tuesday I was busy getting ready for my appointment and Stephen was supposed to be home any minute in order to take me. I heard the doorbell ring like a million times in two seconds (as if by a young child who likes to push buttons) and figured it was Stephen being silly. Then he knocked on the door rapidly and so I rushed to get it before he woke the baby. Much to my surprise an elderly white woman in her pajamas combing her hair greeted me at the door.
She stuck her comb in her hair and then proceeded to talk to me. Apparently she lives down the street and is having issues with their rental house. I told her to call the number on the sign because I really couldn't help her as we are not the landlords. Instead of taking my advice she asked if she could come inside to see what our house looked like. Ummm, no. Here's a little snippet of our conversation.
Crazy Lady:"You know down by where the prison is?"
Me: "Umm, nope I don't"
CL: "Well the prison is named after my great-great-great-daddy."
Me: "Umm, ok."
CL: "Can I use you as a reference?"
Me: "Umm, no."
It was at this point that my child starts crying and I had to close the door and leave.
Later on her husband came and spoke to Stephen. I have no idea what was said but he knew from their conversation that he was married to the afore-mentioned Crazy Lady.
Saturday rolls around and after answering the door multiple times to possible renters (thank goodness we won't be around for that long) Stephen came hurrying to the bedroom to tell me that the Crazy Couple was coming to our door. After a quick assessment we deemed it best to not answer the door again. Again they rang the doorbell and knocked on the door repeatedly. Honestly, that is not the best way to get someone to open their door. When we didn't come to the door they continued to knock and ring for quite some time.
Finally they stopped and we went to the window to see them standing in our front yard plotting their next move. Again they came to knock and ring and when that proved unfruitful they decided to go around our house tapping on the windows!!! I was certainly creeped out and it didn't help that the lady was drinking her beer the whole time.
They soon left and came back to mow our lawn. As he was mowing the lawn she proceeded to knock on the windows and doors.
Later we heard a man near our door say, "No, I'm not going to do that." And we witnessed the mail man walk to the next house. From what we gathered she asked him to knock on our door! When he refused to do that she decided to knock on the door herself yelling, "Mails here, come open your door!"
They finally left and needless to say I was glad we have a storage of food to outlast the crazies who come to the door.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
10 months ago

5 comments:
What the weird? That is one of the craziest most persistent couples I have ever heard of. What was there deal... oh yeah, they were CRAZY! But I have to admit I was laughing out loud while reading!
How have you told me none of this? I call often enough to be let in on this "insider" info. Don't ya think!? I wouldn't want to open my door, either!
Becky
Yeah, I think I would have yelled out "go away or I will call the police!!!!!" Seriously, when they started walking around your house and knocking on windows, I would have called the police and had them escorted off the property. I probably would have even said I would get a restraining order if they came back. Hopefully that would have kept the crazies away long enough for you guys to move!!! So glad you are coming back!!!
hahahaha...those are some good stories. Crazy at the time but great stories afterwards.
Um have you complained to the land lord? This is totally unacceptable! They MOWED YOUR LAWN and TAPPED ON YOUR WINDOWS?!
Post a Comment