After my son was born I tried to nurse him. And nurse him I did. For a total of seven weeks. Seven looong weeks. Seven miserable weeks. After many tears and sleepless nights I slowly switched to formula. It was the best thing that I ever did.
You could see a change in him immediately. He no longer cried incessantly. He started gaining weight. He was no longer forlorn and miserable. My mother even noticed the drastic changed and was thrilled with his progress.
I wrote a post about this when it happened. We just coincidentally had taken pictures of him that day. Looking at them now I just cry. It's heartbreaking to see him then and to know that I wasn't feeding him enough. He looked so sad and was way too skinny.
I realize to many this won't seem interesting or important, but once I became a mother everything changed. I so wanted to nurse him, and for the first two weeks it was wonderful. Then I started to dry up. I know now that what I did was and is the best for him.
It is still hard to hear from other people about how I should have nursed him. How I should have tried harder, how I shouldn't have just given up like that. But I didn't give up. I gave him what he needed.
Now we're coming to a new playing field with new obstacles. He's five months old now. No I haven't started him on solids and I don't plan on it for a little while longer. He is doing JUST fine on formula alone. He sure doesn't weigh too little(he's got the cutest little fat rolls!) and he is incredibly tall...like in the 95% or above for his age. I plan on waiting longer than most and will be very careful when I do give him food and hopefully he will have less food allergies because of it.
My nephew and I aren't the only two who have food allergies in my family. So does my sister, brother and others too. Plus, apparently where we live gives us a greater likelihood for having allergies. Who would have thought?
I do NOT want my son to have food allergies. If there is anything that I can do now to prohibit or limit his chances for it later on I most certainly will. I realize this isn't the case for most people and I realize they don't even have to think about this, but I do. Again, I am going against what most people believe is the way to go. But it's my road to choose and I have multiple people to think about.

5 comments:
Oh how I wish I had put off solid foods for my children. For my first I was just so excited for him to be able to try something solid.
I am so glad that you can make this choice with the knowledge we have already gained by experience. You are right to go slowly. I am glad that you are going "against" the grain on this. Mostly because you feel it is right. All too often we just follow the norm and it isn't always the best thing.
I hope it makes a HUGE difference for your little guy.
Hugs
You know what?! Good for you! Good for you for doing what YOU felt was right. Hearing stories about how this person or that person felt they MUST nurse or it is just SO good for the baby doesn't mean that rule applies to you! I'm glad you are content with your decision and that your son is doing better. :)
I have done the same thing with my two little ones I didnt want them to get any major food allergies. I had family members who dont have alleriges to food thinking I was wacko!! I know what its like being on a very limited diet. Nixon loved to nurse but I just never had enough milk to keep him satisfied and to give him the right amount of calories and nutrients to grow. I think a lot of this had to do with the restricted diet that Im on. As soon as I stopped nursing him he went up to the second percentile to 20th percentile, although he is back down to the 7th because he is so mobile. He had allergic reaction to regular formula so we had to use protein sensivity formula. Which is about 25 dollars for 12 ounces! Now that he is 20 months I have just barely taken him off formula and he is doing great, I have him drinking Hemp Milk! It about the most healthiest milk out there and it helps with people who have tons of allergies! Hopefully your little guy wont end having troubles with allergies! I like to talk to people who go through the same issues as me with food allergies!
~Shari
Totally irrelevant to this post...but I had terrible trouble nursing my 1st child. Sounds very similar to what you experienced. Just wanted you to know that my experience with #2 couldn't have been more different. So just know that if you plan to have any kids in the future. Your experience with the first doesn't mean it will always be that way! (I wish someone would have told me that because I thought I was just doomed).
I totally felt the same way about nursing Lexie. She was a great nurser in the hospital but as soon as we were out she would not nurse for the life of her! So we switched to pumping and formula. And I got the same thing: "you gave up too quick. You should have tried harder." I even got one "Your baby is going to be stupid!" And now with solid foods I get the same thing with what I feed her and how much and how often- BLAH! As far as solid foods go, you might avoid more food allergies if you make your own baby food. No fillers or preservatives, just the good stuff. It's super easy to do- I'm cooking challenged and I do it! =D
Post a Comment