Friday, April 20, 2012

Current House Remodel - The Kitchen

The kitchen at our house is quite tiny.  I have mentioned before that there is no dishwasher and really it's because there is simply no space.  When doing this remodel Stephen kept telling me that he was going to "Ikea-up" the house.  And boy did he.  


 Over the stove (original...gotta love the green stove/oven) he added in a rack for storing our most used kitchen utensils.  Expect the ones shown are not the ones currently hanging there...I have switched them out for the more practical ones.  So no, our meat tenderizer is not the most often used :) There's also a small basket for hanging small utensils, and the rack also holds a small spice center.  
 In this photo you can see the outlets Stephen added in.  Previously there was only one wall outlet in the kitchen, and the old cabinets that were replaced were directly on top of the outlet so you could only access one.  This is much better. 
 The above picture shows the new cabinets that we installed and also more storage solutions.  There's a shelf above the doorway to the dinning room, a cork board which holds our Christmas cards and important receipts...and then our magnet strip.  The magnet strip is one of my favorites.  It used to hold all our knives, but with little guy helping me more in the kitchen now it holds any metal object he can play with.  There's also more outlets on this side, but it's pretty hard to see them. 
 This shows the shelf better...and also shows the original cabinets that we left on the south side of the house. 
 This is the south side of the kitchen that we didn't do anything with, the kitchen sink is under that window.
 This shelf is over the door to the stairs down to the basement.  Yay for more storage!
 Moving around to the west side of the kitchen, you can see the same door, we've added in the shelf from the previous picture and a plastic bag holder, which I love.  The door on the left leads to the bathroom.
 There's the bathroom door again, you can see the nice cabinets, oh and the hood over the oven...it didn't previously have one. 
 Here are the lower cabinets, and the countertops.  Before there wasn't the counter between the fridge and the oven, and only a tiny cabinet between the oven and the wall.  Now there is TONS more counter space.  Although I could always use more.  You can also see the new flooring.  Stephen surprised me with the cabinets and the flooring.  I cried when I saw them.  I LOVE the kitchen now. 
 Again, more of the beautiful cabinets.

 The is the south wall, with the original cabinets and sink.  There's a pull out cutting board that my grandma used to use for extra counter space. 
 I don't remember what was on these hooks before, but we use them for dishtowels and my apron.  I love having multiple hooks in the kitchen. 
A better view of the original sink. 

No comments: