Thursday, April 19, 2012

Remodeling the House - Bathroom

Currently we are living in my grandmother's house.  She moved out somewhere between 6-8 years ago and since then the front part of the house has just been vacant.  Stephen and I decided to move in, remodel and clean it up so that my family can either rent out the front of the house like they are doing with the back of the house or they can hopefully sell it within a few years.  

When we first moved in I was extremely skeptical.  This isn't really something that my family would ever do...and I didn't even know where to start.  Luckily my husband took over and has made it incredible!  I have some before pictures, but I don't want to drag them out right now...so instead let's take a look at the bathroom and then I will show the kitchen later.  

The house only has one tiny bathroom, with only one cabinet under the sink which we replaced with a pedestal sink.  
 
This sink allows us to have much easier access to the faucet in the tub.  Also shown in the above picture is the laminate wood flooring Stephen surprised me with.  Because we took out the cabinet we had to include tons more storage space elsewhere.  You can see the metal baskets we installed above the toilet.  They also continue onto the other wall.  I love these and we will be putting some into our own house one day.


Next up we have the basket situation in the shower.  This is soo handy for holding all of little guy's toys and all of our shower gels. 

Here we have the bathroom window...which is in the shower.  Stephen smartly hung up a shower curtain rod over the window and cut up the old shower curtain to hang there.  
 Funny Story:  During the summer we left the window partially open to get a cool breeze through the house.  The main level of the house is elevated and so this window is quite high up and no one can get to it.  Plus, it's actually a window that goes to the basement stairway...so really no one can come in through it.

Well, while I would shower the curtain would be rustling in the breeze and I was always afraid that some sort of insect or living critter would crawl up the outside wall and into the shower..and thus onto me.  

Then one day as I was showering I noticed something large starting to come through the window!  The curtain was blocking it from my view but immediately I knew it was a tarantula!  Needless to say this scared the crap outta me and I started screaming.  Turns out it was only my husband.  He had no idea this was a legitimate fear of mine and he thought I would get a kick out of it.  No way!  He had to stand on his tip-toes on the stairs to the basement to even reach the window, but he certainly did.

Thankfully after I calmed down he shut the window and we haven't opened it again since.  Now I can shower in peace.  The end.

Next up we have the shelving Stephen installed above the baskets above the toilet.  So much storage!
 A better view of the baskets below the shelves.

 Here's the towel rack Stephen installed between the door to the kitchen on the right, and the door to the master bedroom on the left. 
 And then another view of the bathroom.  It has tons more space now and I love how creative Stephen was with making it more livable. 

1 comment:

Anjeanette said...

You guys have done a great job with it all! Loves!