Thursday, June 14, 2012

Adelaide is Here (the short story)!

Adelaide Anne Zank was born May 10, 1012 (the day after her due date) at 4:20 pm.  Weighing in at 8lbs 11oz, and 20 1/2 in. long.

The Short Story:
I had an appointment that morning at 9:30 wherein I had my membranes stripped.  I was already dilated to a 3 and 70% effaced.  Came home, loaded up the family (my sister, my mother, my husband and my son) and we headed downtown to walk and hopefully bring on labor.  On the way downtown I started having contractions.  We made it to the LDS Conference Center where we had a quick tour and then we headed for the hospital...well after picking up and eating lunch, and dropping off my mom and son at home.  We got to the hospital after 1 pm and I was worried we would get sent away.  Sure my contractions were fast and painful, they just weren't excruciatingly painful, and my water hadn't broken yet.

We got into our room and I was handling the contractions pretty well.  I was checked and was 4cm dilated and 90% effaced.  Score!  The midwife said I was for sure in active labor.  Then the contractions started getting really hard.  I demanded an epidural and was brought into the delivery room.  Getting the IV before the epidural was the worst.  For some reason I had tons of blood coming from my arm and there was a nice puddle of my blood on the floor.  All this while having intense contractions.  With one of the contractions I pushed and my water broke.  Flooded is more like it.  Stephen had to jump out of the way, but my sister wasn't so lucky and ended up getting my water in her shoes.  Gross, sorry about that by the way!

I was still demanding the epidural and a nurse came in, looked at me and decided to check me again essentially because she didn't think there would be time for an epidural.  Lo and behold I was already a 10 so the epidural was out of the question.  Crazy.  Little Adelaide was born at 4:20, less than three hours after we went to the hospital, and about five hours after my first contraction.

I have a longer-winded post in the works but I figured this one is good for posting.  Oh, you want pictures of little miss?  Then you best be followin' me on instagram.  I believe my username is erikazank.  Creative, right?


2 comments:

Paige said...

Puddle of blood on the floor?????? Okay you've just confirmed for me that I have absolutely no interest in getting an IV (considering my track record with needles and passing out)

Super-congrats on little Adelaide!! I can't wait to meet her! (PS: did you know we are moving to Provo? I will come visit you!)

Anjeanette said...

My shoes are still sticky;)