Thursday, December 11, 2008

Trip to Corpus Christi

Stephen had to go down to Corpus Christi for work training and I decided to tag along. We were supposed to go to Galveston earlier for another work related event, but Hurricane Ike hampered that one. Thankfully we were not down there while a hurricane was visiting. The drive down was sooo neat, we had not been any farther south than Ft. Worth/Dallas, and we were able to see Waco, Austin, San Antonio, and ultimately Corpus Christi. While traveling through Waco (I think) we were stopped from getting onto the freeway by this HUGE motorcycle group. The line probably stopped us for twenty minutes and we came maybe halfway through. Neither Stephen or I had ever seen this many motorcyclists at once. We finally made it to Corpus Christi and found our hotel that was RIGHT on the beach, so we knew we had to immediately check it out. The U.S.S. Lexington is in the background.
The next morning Stephen was nice enough to bring me breakfast in bed. Turns out I was suffering from Pregnancy Heartburn. I was miserable all Monday until we got some medicine. So I just had to suffer and stay in the hotel room and watch movies and T.V. all day. It was rough I tell you. But here's what I had for breakfast...
Yep...a Texas shaped waffle. It was delicious. The next morning I was feeling sooo much better and was praising modern medicine the rest of the day. I decided to venture out and explore the beach on my own. I was going to take the car, but after I experienced the roads down here I decided I was better off exploring on foot.
It was warm but overcast the whole day.
Here's proof that I was at the beach!

It was super windy, but I loved how tropical it looked. Because it was the off-season I really had the entire beach to myself which was sooo relaxing.


I was bummed that it was so windy because I had actually curled my hair which I haven't done in forever, only to have it get ruined by the windy beach, so I attempted to take a picture of the curls before they disappeared. Apparently I need help with my aim.This store was really neat. Many of the structures are up on stilts so that the storms don't totally damage them. The entrance is through the shark, how cool is that! I found these cute shirts that were waaay overpriced but cute nonetheless.

As I left I thought it would be fun to show what it would look like to be stuck in a shark.

I walked up to the U.S.S. Lexington.This is the bridge that we had to take to get into Corpus Christi, I loved the way it looked and loved driving over it because you could see so much from up there.There were tons of cute shops between our hotel and the Aquarium.That night we went driving by the shore line. A storm was starting to come in and I don't think I've ever been in winds that fierce before. The water was raging like crazy. We drove down to some piers and saw this old wooden life-size replica of the Nina. It was much smaller than I imagined it to be and to think that their voyage would have taken months just was unbelievable. We promised to come back in the morning and take a picture, but we never made it back.
The next morning the storm had mostly disappeared leaving the seas oddly still. But the temperature dropped to around thirty degrees! We tried seeing the beach once more but were driven inside by the weather.We then headed back and stopped in San Antonio for some sight-seeing. It is now my favorite city ever. I wish we could live there. Our plan was just to see the Alamo and then to find the river walk which Stephen had heard about. We parked super far away so we didn't have to pay so much and then trekked it to the Alamo. (I think I should win the blog walking club that my sisters are doing. Between this day and when I walked along the beach I think I've beat everyone ;) Stephen even woke up this morning sore from all the walking we did in San Antonio. ) We were so glad we parked far away because we got to see so much more of the city that way. And as we were walking we found the river walk.
It is super gorgeous, basically they've taken the river that flows through the city and instead of leaving it alone, they made walkways down below the street level so you can walk right along side of it. Then we discovered the better portion of the River Walk. There were tons of Restaurants who opened up into the River and were gorgeously decorated. They had several stories and walking along the River was amazing. It reminded me of Disneyland, but I would guess that Disneyland got their idea from places like this.Here we are River level.There were even boats that would come along and give tours and such. And this is all right in the middle of the downtown area.Finally we came to the Alamo. I always imagined it to be in the middle of nowhere, but it's in the middle of the downtown area as well. Our trip was absolutely fantastic, and now I'm ready to head to Phoenix...two more days!!
Oh and I realize that I promised pictures of my growing belly, but it is hard to take pictures of myself. All the ones of me are on Stephen's camera. That's the only downside to having us both take pictures with our own cameras :(

4 comments:

Allison said...

God Bless Texas! ;-)

Erika, you best be postin' some belly pics soon, ya hear?!

Camille Elise said...

Hey! Don't tell Abilehi Berrios y'all went to Corpus Christi...she'll be real sad you didn't come visit her! oh ya, and Amy Tait says she wishes Zank was still down here so he could sing for Christmas...it's not complete until he sings and we all reminded of how much of an amazing singer he is! :)

Allison said...

And PS--- LOVE the new December picture for your banner at the top of your page. So cute!!!!

Paige said...

Sweet waffle!
That trip looked so fun and you look lovely in that beach pic... glowing, I dare say? :D