Monday, April 6, 2009

Epidurals: The Greatest Gift to Women

I was going to write this long drawn out version of my labor and delivery and then realized that no one wants to read all that, so instead you get the highlights, plus the fact that I'm typing this one handed while holding a sleeping babe may have something to do with it ;)

Side Note: Stephen (the husband) just commented that he thought people were kidding when they talked about getting no sleep with a newborn....haha
  • Contractions started at 7 pm Thursday night
  • By 8:30 I was ready to go, but of course we had to drop off a rented movie first!
  • Checked into the hospital but was told that I hadn't progressed at all from my appointment earlier that day
  • Was told to walk around the hospital for TWO HOURS and if I hadn't progressed we would be sent home (I almost cried)
  • Only had to walk to the end of the hall when my water broke. Grossest thing ever. So thankful we didn't have to clean it up!
  • Demanded epidural even though I was still at a 3
  • Decided one child was all I would ever have, contemplated a C-section...apparently back labor hurts the worst...
  • Epidural came and worked immediately, suddenly all was right in the world
  • An hour later (around midnight) I was dilated to a 9.5 (YES for fast labors!)
  • Started pushing at 1, doctor came at 1:30, Stephen (IV) born at 1:49, weighing 7 lbs. 6 oz. and 20 1/4 in. long
  • No tearing or episiotomy!
  • III watched the entire thing and didn't pass out! He even cut the cord!
  • When we were being checked into the hospital the nurse was asking me all these random questions that I did not appreciate, I was in pain and delegated some of the answers to Stephen. My favorite was when she asked if I had ever intentionally caused myself physical pain, I almost responded "Well I'm here aren't I?" But she didn't seem like the type who would get it.
We're all doing good and am glad to be home...if only we could figure out that sleep thing.
Head on over to Stephen's website for a video, I say some pretty funny things in it!

7 comments:

soccermom said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am so glad you are like the rest of us Miller girls and went with the fast labor option! Sorry you didn't get the memo about sunnyside up! ;) However, you traded that option for no tearing or episiotomy and I think that was a brilliant idea! The sleeping thing...well...good luck with that! ;) And the video...very cute! I loved actually getting to see baby Stephen moving and cooing and all! Good luck with these first few days and weeks! As you know, we are all here rooting for you! (as if that helps any!) About the time he is sleeping more, you will be here where we could physically help you with it. haha. Can't wait to hold him!

jkzank said...

Congatulations! He is so cute!
Love the video and all the pics!
I'm so excited to be an aunty again and hope I can find a way to see you all soon!

Kat said...

Calvin LOVED the video and the baby. He was practically cooing at the monitor. We will all be hard pressed to get any baby time when Calvin gets to meet his new cousin. He is sooo cute with babies.

Can you do Calvin and Hobbs baby videos too? You made me watch some of the old footage. Do you remember all the men drinking out of baby bottles?! I forgot how funny that was.

Land family said...

Congratulations Erika! I'm an online friend of your sister's (A), and I'm so happy for you! Sounds like you had a fairly easy delivery and things went as good as can be hoped for! The pictures and video are just awesome. Welcome to the world little one!

Camille Elise said...

Hey Erika! That video your husband made brought tears to my eyes. He did such a good job! You lil guy is soo precious!

Deidre said...

I think he looks like you but a boy of course. Congrats!

Brewer's Ink said...

Congratulations! So glad that your cute baby has arrived, and that you're doing well. As for the sleep . . . well, all moms become zombies for awhile. As my wise sister used to tell me, "This too shall pass."