So while I have been unpacking(yes there's still more boxes) I have also been going through the massive amount of stuff I seem to have accumulated. One of the more humorous things I came across was a little book that was made by my eighth grade class of 2001-2002. It's an instruction book for teachers from students. I'm really glad I have kept this as I plan on becoming a teacher and have many friends and family who are going in to education as well. I really liked some of these pieces of advice.
- More than likely, if their hand is down, they don't know the answer so don't call on them. *a boy who wouldn't pay attention
- Don't be harsh on the first week and on the last week of school. Those two weeks are very hard on the students...so relax, take it easy. You might feel better too! *mine
- Teachers should have a way they run their classrooms. They should have a system for turning in homework and receiving absent work so there is no confusion.
- We don't like being give the same boring worksheets. Kids' lives aren't meant to be boring because that is what our adult lives are for. *haha!!
- Teachers shouldn't take their problems or bad days out on their students. We, as students should not have to feel your anger or frustration.
- No matter who we work with we're going to talk. So it doesn't really help when you say to quiet down. We have to talk to get things done. *a popular girl
- Students don't want to be expected to be perfect because no one is perfect. Even the smartest kids have their off days sometimes. *a smart boy
- Teachers are always telling us to repect others. That means they have to try to respect us.
- Teachers should not drone on or hover.
- Don't be too soft, but don't be too hard either. If teachers are too soft on us, we misbehve, and we take advantage of you. If you're too hard, we are scared of you, and then rumors get started about you. *a boy who would misbehave often

- Another thing teachers should do is to give their homeroom honor students free cell phones. *yeah right
- And then there's candy. They should make a commercial that says, "Ah, the power of candy." Give a kid some candy, and he'll love you forever.
- Teachers have a big effect on kids; after all, kids spend more time with their teachers than with their parents.
- Teachers should not be unfair because students look up to them and respect them.
- A teacher should have a passion for their work.
- A good teacher, in my eyes, should never get frustrated when a child doesn't understand a concept.
- Gum is the solution.
- When you do make a promise, follow through with it. Trust is one of the most important things in a student-teacher relationship.
- Another thing a good teacher should do is to reward us for doing something well. It doesn't make sense to punish us for the bad things, and then not reward us for the good things.
- We should leave the classroom thinking that we have just accomplised a hard task.

- Although I understand that teachers have good and bad days, some teachers tend to do things they should not do on bad days.
- If you underestimate a student's ability, you could also have the student underestimate his or her own ability.
- Let us have a snack so we will be thinking about your class, not about eating. *girl who won mathematics award
- Any teacher that wants a well behave class should use positive reinforcement.
- Teachers shouldn't favor brown nosers! * a boy who didn't do too well
- It is also important that you have a teacher that makes you feel like you're smart.
- Don't have class favorites (unless it's me). *mine
- Teachers should be strict, just not all the time.
- First off, teachers should never be boring and stand there and talk like a zombie.
- If teachers think positively and believe in their kids, then the students will know that they can do anything they set their minds to.
- I think the worst thing a teacher can do is to give homework on the first day of school. That's not fun, and it scares a kid.
- They should listen and try to learn something from their students. By listening, teachers encourage their students to express themselves. * A girl who rarely spoke up
- I also think that teachers should get paid more money because they spend so much time at work.
- Don't suck up. We're better at it than you. *the biggest sucker-upper I know
- Teachers should get together and plan not to have tests on the same day. Studying for two tests is just too much. *if only college profs would do this as well!!
- If a kid is shy and doesn't want to read his paper or share his ideas, then I think he shouldn't have to. *I disagree
- Treat us as if we were your own.
- Don't make it seem like you don't want to be there.
- Teachers should not be younger than 30 or older than 50. *from a girl whose name was similar to mine and I heard A LOT about this one
- Finally, teachers have to be smart. They have to know the answers to your questions.
Sorry for the long post, but this was definitely fun for me!
1 comment:
I found this really interesting. I think I will keep it in my own archives (of odd lot things that someday I may use if I can ever remember where I saved it!!)
Post a Comment