Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Rainy Season

It's been quite rainy and stormy recently which I LOVE!! The only down side to having it rain so much is that it does funny things to our house. During the summer the back corner of the house connected to the laundry room started sinking. So then the door from the kitchen to the laundry room kept getting stuck. At one point I would have to run up to the door and slam into it to get it to close. Trying to get it open was near impossible too. Then our lovely landlords came over and shaved off part of the door so it wouldn't stick and that did the trick!
Now we have a new problem. The fireplace leaks. It started doing it one night while we were watching some show and I was getting really worried. I put a pitcher under it but Stephen said not to worry because it probably would leak that much. I probably only caught two out of every three drops but when we looked at the pitcher in the morning and it was full of water!

It's gross water too!! The funny part is that it was leaking from between the outside of the fireplace and the molding that makes up the ledge. What a random spot to leak from.


Ahh, the joys of rainy weather. I am very thankful that we have only had these minor issues to deal with. Last night Stephen took me to a meeting for the flood victims in our county. We had some massive storms on my birthday and the day before it which lead to some heavy flooding in our county and city. We had nothing bad happen to us personally but it was serious enough to be deemed a disaster by the state of Texas. Unfortunately the loss of homes and goods weren't enough to get any governmental money, so now for two months the families have had to live elsewhere while they tried to clean out their homes and hope for something to help them. Stephen went to the meeting as a representative from the city and I went to support him. It was heartbreaking to hear what these people have had to do in the meantime. Many are not able to fix up their homes without additional help but luckily it appears that help is on it's way.

Lately I've been kinda depressed about certain aspects of our situation. While things are tight here we are certainly in a better situation than these people and I am so thankful that all we have had to worry about are the leaks in our house.

2 comments:

soccermom said...

It's funny how a negative thing (your fireplace leaking) can actually make you think positively (it could be worse)! I love that way of thinking! I'm sorry to hear you've been kinda depressed. Remember that almost everyone starts out that way. Trust me, things were tight for us when we had our first child, too! I didn't wear any maternity clothes (and I worked in a professional atmospehre). I just wore Chris' shirts and leggings! But we couldn't afford anything new for me to wear! It's just is stressful having your first child. Everything is new and unknown. You guys are doing great and everything will be fine. You will be such awesome parents! Not that it will be easy, but...you know what I'm saying. It's such a fantastic, magical time in your life. You will always look back on it with fondness. Never again will anything be as magical (the next children are just as wanted and special and all of that, but you've already been there and done that so it's more of a comfortable thing and less of a shocking, life altering, holy crap thing!

I look at my own situation now and get sad/guilty. Luckily I snap out of it quickly because really I know that even my worst days, or so much better than many peoples best days. It's so easy to forget that, though. Money is not everything, in fact it should matter just about the least of all things. All that matters are your relationships with whatever people you choose to keep in your life! You have many relationships here in your old stomping grounds that love you and love spending time with you (and Stephen). I know you've also got Stephen's family as well. So, you are already far richer than some people will ever be! I know you know all this, but as your big sister, I had to put it in writing to you anyways! I love you and know that many great and wonderful things are ahead for you (the best is just around the corner!!). I've still never had enough money to raise my kids the way I'd love to be able to...and you know what? I think we'll all be just fine. In fact, I think my kiddos have turned out pretty darned fantastic! Yours will get the same thing mine have, total devotion from their parents. What more do they really need?

Anjeanette said...

Ooh that is icky. I do love your fireplace though....even if it is a bit leaky. Do you have fires? Oh how fun!!! I miss fires in the fireplace. That makes the season seem more like it is the cold season.