It was kinda funny because Stephen and I both woke up on Thanksgiving feeling like it should be Christmas and that we should be opening presents, thankfully we still have some time before that gets here.
Today we woke up quite early and got tons of stuff accomplished. One of the things on our list was to make peanut butter cookies that would actually turn out. I had attempted to make the cookies on Sunday but failed miserably. Apparently my shortening had gone bad (and I mean BAD) I didn't remember what exactly shortening was supposed to look and taste like and after comparing it to the new stuff, I'm embarrased that I used the old stuff at all. As far as we can tell we think we took the shortening from Arizona to Texas over the summer and the heat must have destroyed it. Anyway we made the cookies today and they turned out alright. They were a little dry and crumble easily but at least they're edible!! Here's what they look like (Stephen took the picture)
I love to cook and bake but I seem to continually be messing up the recipe somehow. I was over at my sister Pollyanna's house one year for Christmas where we were making some cookies and instead of using the flour I used powdered sugar which were in identical containers. It seems as though I have trouble recognizing the items I am using in the recipe! Pollyanna loves to bring this event up because I have always wanted to be a chef and yet none of my stuff ever turns out quite as it is supposed to.
We also made one of my favorite recipes, Scalloped Potatoes. Our version uses cream of something soup instead of the typical made-from-scratch sauce and it is delicious! We add a little sour cream and partially boil the potatoes ahead of time and it turns out great. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of that one...maybe next time. Oh, and we are going to try and finish the couch today, so as soon as that's done I'll post pictures and man does it look good so far!

1 comment:
If your oven tends to burn or over cook everything it may be heating up more than you want it to. Mine does not get to the temp I set it to. I have figured out that I have to set my oven for between 350 and 375 to get it up to 325. Then when the gas goes off when it reaches temperature it cools down quickly. I mean it starts dropping a degree every two seconds or so. Also if the air is really dry then what you make will turn out dryer too and vise versa. Also if you are using shortening instead of butter then you have to add 6 tablespoons of water per cup of shortening.
I didn't know that shortening goes bad.
I am glad that you had a good Thanksgiving. We were all thinking of you guys. Thanksgiving was a little light on people this year. We carried on as best we could. ;)
Can't wait to see you!!
Hugs and Kisses
Post a Comment