Saturday, January 31, 2009

Our City

Where we live is basically a big rural-ish city. At least compared to where else I've lived. Not to bash it or anything because I really do love it here, but there are just a few things that make me chuckle.

For starters it drives us nuts to watch the news programming here. The anchors are continually stumbling through their lines and the picture quality is sometimes ridiculously bad. Don't even get Stephen started on the commercials.

It's the biggest rage to advertise for your mom and pop business by having your children on the commercial. Not just visible, but they are the ones who do all the taking. I don't know if the owners of the businesses are aware that just because THEY understand their children doesn't mean that the rest of us do. Sure it's cute to see your children, but if I can't tell what your store sells chances are I will not be shopping there.

Living so close to Oklahoma there are many casinos nearby (on the Indian reservations). Many of these are tiny casinos and so their ads are equally as entertaining. Just the other day I heard one that proclaimed it had "the only escalators in Lawton!" (or anywhere nearby for that matter). And it's true. But would people go there JUST to see the escalator? Maybe.

It is also interesting to note the lack of some predominant food chains. As I've said before there isn't a Panda Express or a Cold Stone Creamery. Instead we have several McDonald's and Braums'. Just after Christmas we got our first Jack-in-the-Box. Everytime we drive by the parking lot is completely packed, and the drive-thru line stretches beyond the parking lot. Night or Day that place is THE Hot Spot in town.

Because many of my family (and those who read my blog) have never been out here, nor will they ever be out here. I am taking it upon myself to educate the rest of the world about our little paradise.

2 comments:

soccermom said...

Thanks for the education. I do appreciate it! Sounds fun and exciting to me! =)

Camille Elise said...

Woah! I wish I could have seen this. that would have been so crazy weird.