All right. From reader comments, 8 people pronounce this word with an 'e' sound, while 4 pronounce it with the 'u' sound as it is spelled.
For myself? I pronounce it as 'berried' which leaves Stephen to pronounce it as it is spelled. And I tease him about this. Relentlessly. That's what all wives do, right?
Then I got to thinking about it and because of the spelling I do feel like it should be pronounced with the 'u' sound. And for some strange reason I compared it to saying 'libary' instead of 'library' which is totally annoying. At the same level as writing 'collage' when you mean 'college' ...but that's for another time.
Then I looked it up online. Many dictionaries will only have one pronunciation which happens to be the 'e' way, however some (relatively few) also show pronouncing it as it is spelled.
The best explanation I found says to pronounce it 'berry' if one word, and 'bury' if at the end of the word, like in Cadbury. Interesting, no?
Oh but for the record, I am right and Stephen is wrong. So that's a plus.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
11 months ago

2 comments:
Ok, now onto pictures!
dang it... if stephen is wrong that means I'm wrong too!!
Post a Comment