Right before we moved in August I noticed that our squash plants in our garden had become infested with squash bugs. Nasty critters. Can you see them? They've sucked out the water from the squash plants, so they are mostly along the main stalk of the plant. They are lightly colored with black legs.
Yuck! My sister had them years ago and got rid of them by picking them off individually. That was too gross for me and as the season was getting too hot and the squash plants were already dying we decided to yank the plants out and BURN the suckers!
Stephen wielded the torch, my mom had the hose and I had the lighter fluid. So we tore out the plants, soaked em and lit em up. This picture show all the bugs on the garden boxes after we pulled the squash plants out.We then control-burned the garden itself trying to rid it of all unwelcome visitors. And it worked!
Gross.
On a better topic, our cucumbers are still doing really well. My family had never seen Armenian cucumbers before, so here's two from our garden. I love them.






2 comments:
Your garden rocked this year! I'm so glad that it did, because I enjoyed helping myself to it all summer long! ;) I'm still trying to figure out what is wrong with my little garden. ;(
Becky
You are going to have to come to our house next spring and put in a garden for us! I am amazed at how well your garden grew. I agree though, those bugs are gross!!
Post a Comment