*Warning*
This post will contain pictures of the Hand, Mouth, and Foot Disease that I've been sick with for the past week. This post is mostly for my family who wants to see what these symptoms look like. The very last picture is of the inside of my mouth. Just know what you are getting into by reading this post.
*Warning Over and Out*
Hand, Mouth, and Foot Disease (HMFD) is awful! I was glad that I had it and that my son did not get it. While my family was passing around Strep Throat I was super nervous about getting it. I washed my hands repeatedly because I was so paranoid about getting sick and then getting my little family sick. Last Sunday night I noticed that I had washed my hands so much they were dry, cracking, and bleeding, so I cut down on the washing and started using more antibacterial gel. It was probably when my hands were cut and bleeding that I contracted this disease. How ironic that I got it because I did NOT want Strep Throat. Which I then also got.
Basically I had hundreds if not thousands of tiny red bumps/blisters all on the insides (mainly) of my hands, the tops and bottoms of my feet, the roof of my mouth which then spread to my gums, and insides of my checks. It was excruciating to touch them in any way. Changing diapers was agonizing. Cleaning dishes was painful. Walking made me want to cry. Then it started to itch. The worst itch I've ever felt...and I remember having chicken pox as a child. This was worse. I would wake up in the night because my hands and feet ached and itched sooo badly. I had to sleep with socks on my hands and feet so I didn't scratch them too badly.
HMFD is viral and as such there is really no treatment except to ride it out. I have been put on steroids to ease the pain and hopefully help the blisters to go away. And it's working! I had some rough moments this last week, but things are starting to look up.
These pictures don't really capture how bad they looked in person. Luckily I couldn't pass this disease from anyone touching the blisters, it is only contagious through my saliva. But here's what it looks like.
The blisters were so tiny, and were EVERYWHERE.
This was the worst. I started getting cut here and then the blisters came with a vengeance. OUCH.
And here's to show that they were also on the sides of my hands.
And here's my mouth. Owie.
I was also given some gel to put on the spots in my mouth the numb them. It was thick, clear, and stinky. It's the same stuff they use before you have oral surgery. Before they give you the numbing shots they apply this to your gums and cheeks. It worked crazy well, but surprisingly my mouth hurt a lot less than my hands and feet. So I only used the gel once.
As of today, I can walk and change diapers and wash dishes. And I experience minimum to no pain. I am soo thankful for modern medicine.









6 comments:
I feel so bad for you! But, I guess, if you are going to do something...do it big! ;0
Can you believe with 3 little ones with strep in my house, I did not get it? Knock on wood, I'm lucky like that! :)
Hope you are feeling 100% soon!
Becky
Oh HONEY!! I am so sorry you had this. I really hope you are on the upswing from it. Thanks though, for sharing the pictres. So strange and painful I bet!!
Sending you lots of love!!
Oh man, I am so glad you are over it now. Periodically bug bites drive me crazy when I am trying to sleep I can't imagine how you got any with that all over your hands and feet. Thanks for sharing only pictures. ;)
HFMD is the nastiest thing ever! I'm so sorry you got it!! At least your baby didn't get it!
I just threw up in my non-spotted mouth, Erika.
Allison, don't say I didn't warn you.
Post a Comment